Taught by Ellen Carlson and Meliss Bragdon Caron using the Wernick Method*
Contoocook, NH within the Fiddleheads Jam Camp
Methodios Camp and Retreat Center, 329 Camp Merrimac Rd, Contoocook, NH 03229
September 10-12, 2021
Friday 10:30am-10:30pm; Saturday 8:30am-10pm; Sunday 8:30am-1:30pm
Tuition: $386 – base price, 3-day camp
$386 covers full camp: Friday 10:30am — Sunday 1:30pm and includes 2 lunches /1 dinner. Additional meals and housing choices extra; early-pay discounts up to $40 available. Full info at: fiddleheadscamp.com
Students may take the Wernick Method Bluegrass Camp for 3 days or may attend Friday only of the WM camp + Fiddleheads events Saturday and Sunday for the same price.
For info about Friday meals and Thursday accommodations options, write to Ellen Carlson at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Download the Methodios Camp and Retreat Center Brochure See photos of the Retreat House, dining hall, cabins, waterfront area, etc. (Brochure courtesy of the Camp Methodios website.)
50% of your deposit refundable on request if you cancel more than one month in advance.
Ellen Carlson and Melissa Bragdon Caron co-direct the New Hampshire Fiddle Ensemble. Ellen has been performing for 35 years, currently with High Range. She teaches fiddle, guitar and mandolin, privately and at major festivals. Melissa, a versatile fiddler and music teacher, helped develop the 317 Main Community Music Center in Yarmouth. She teaches at her home studio, and plays with the Jerks of Bluegrass.
Ellen’s and Melissa’s students say:
“Ellen is an amazing teacher!”
“Melissa carries a vast knowledge of music and is easy to learn from. She lights a spark in her students that never leaves, and gave me countless opportunities to grow as a musician.“
“Ellen’s supportive and easy-going personality puts the nervous beginner at ease and helps build self-confidence.”
“Melissa has a gift for teaching and playing music. She is patient, knowledgeable, encouraging and kind.”
“Learning from Ellen has been such a fun, positive learning experience for me!”
“Melissa is incredibly talented, and gifted working with all ages. I always felt encouraged. She makes it easy, and most importantly, she makes it fun! Melissa is caring, enthusiastic, and delightful to be around.”
“Ellen is quite skilled at knowing when to step in, what to expect, how to teach each individual.”
* Wernick Method Classes teach real bluegrass jamming!
- All bluegrass instruments welcome
- No jamming experience necessary
- You will be jamming the first class!
- Friendly, encouraging, knowledgeable teaching.
- Gentle tempos! Mistakes expected!
- Music reading not needed or used
- Singing not required, but encouraged and taught.
- Easy 2- and 3-chord songs, slow speeds.
- Soloing not required! “Faking” solos taught.
- Understanding, low-pressure, time-tested teaching
- Intermediates welcome, and given added challenges
- Hands-on learning in large and small groups
- Learn many bluegrass standards
- Full ground rules and etiquette of typical jams
- How to lead songs and how to follow new songs
- How to find melodies, fake solos, sing harmony
- Ear skills taught and emphasized, as in real bluegrass
- Group and individualized instruction on backup skills
Do you qualify? It’s easier than you may think!
If you play guitar, mandolin, banjo, fiddle, bass, or dobro… you can be part of a bluegrass jam.
- You must be able to tune your instrument (electronic tuning devices welcome) and
- change smoothly between G, C, D, and A. (Fiddles and basses need to know which notes work with which chords)
For more info or to send payment in the mail, email email@example.com.
Click any photo to enlarge.