Taught by Kelly Bogan using the Wernick Method*
Spokane, WA at Amend Music Center
1305 W. 14th Ave, Spokane WA 99204
Tuesdays, August 24 – October 26, 2021
7:00-9:00pm each Tuesday
Tuition: $195 for 10 sessions
$50 deposit reserves your spot. 50% refundable for cancellations more than one month in advance.
All Wernick Method classes this summer will be conducted either outdoors or in very well-ventilated indoor spaces.
Classically trained on piano, Kelly Bogan was swayed into Folk Music in high school after hearing the likes of: The Beatles, Simon & Garfunkel, Gordon Lightfoot, Flatt & Scruggs, and many other “Folk” musicians. This is where the heart and soul were. A private music instructor by day, Kelly also composes, arranges, runs a recording studio, and plays multiple instruments.
His newest venture is Kelly’s Underground, an acoustic venue in Spokane for music spanning American Folk to Brazilian to Irish. Kelly hopes to carry the torch, bringing arrangements and original Folk Music to the fore.
Kelly’s students say:
“Kelly’s expertise, patience, and experience have given me the success and confidence I’ve needed as a beginning instrumentalist. His joy of music and contagious enthusiasm have given me a love for bluegrass.”
“I have been to other “slow jams” before; these have not been helpful. This class was a really great introduction into actually learning how to jam and play with others.”
“He put in the extra hours and we enjoyed the fun. This type of class is something I’ve been wishing for for quite a while. I more than feel I got a good value out of the deal.”
“A good guy, knowledgeable, great picker, and a terrific sense of humor.”
“Kelly is an excellent and organized teacher and the interaction with classmates was fun and a learning experience.”
“A safe environment. I was terrorized at first, but I hung in there.”
“I love Kelly’s jam class. I have gained enough skill to fully enjoy our group and actively participate. It has been the most fun and painless learning I can remember.”
“I really enjoyed Kelly leading the class. He has so much experience in all aspects and has a great way of teaching. I thought everyone had a fun time and learned a great deal. This jam class opens our eyes and ears to the wonderful fun of playing with others.
* Wernick Method Classes teach real bluegrass jamming!
- All bluegrass instruments welcome
- No jamming experience necessary
- You will be jamming the first class!
- Friendly, encouraging, knowledgeable teaching.
- Gentle tempos! Mistakes expected!
- Music reading not needed or used
- Singing not required, but encouraged and taught.
- Easy 2- and 3-chord songs, slow speeds.
- Soloing not required! “Faking” solos taught.
- Understanding, low-pressure, time-tested teaching
- Intermediates welcome, and given added challenges
- Hands-on learning in large and small groups
- Learn many bluegrass standards
- Full ground rules and etiquette of typical jams
- How to lead songs and how to follow new songs
- How to find melodies, fake solos, sing harmony
- Ear skills taught and emphasized, as in real bluegrass
- Group and individualized instruction on backup skills
Do you qualify? It’s easier than you may think!
If you play guitar, mandolin, banjo, fiddle, bass, or dobro… you can be part of a bluegrass jam.
- You must be able to tune your instrument (electronic tuning devices welcome) and
- change smoothly between G, C, D, and A. (Fiddles and basses need to know which notes work with which chords)
For more info or to send payment in the mail, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click any photo to enlarge.