Timing
In 2025, the only available August dates are August 26-31, and Labor Day weekend will include *two* of those days. But for 2025 we have the option of moving to a Sunday-Friday in the latter half of June. We have some concern about the August overlap, as you can imagine, with our 2024 camp attendance down 10-15% this year.
Cost
For 2025 Silver Bay will charge $2400 of new expenses for the use of several buildings we’ve always used for our classes. So expenses will be up from 2025 on, while attendance could stay low next year due to the August overlap. And since the Y holds the camp proprietor (me) responsible for a certain level of income from housing, a chance looms of my having to cover a deficit for 2025 if attendance stays low.
Choices for 2025
- Hold the camp August 26-31, following the “last week of August” precedent….
AND EITHER:
a. Hold the price close to what it’s been, increasing the risk of a deficit
OR:
b. Raise the price to cover $2400 of new expenses Silver Bay will charge us for the camp.
- Move the camp to late June (not sure of the dates). This would result in the loss of two teachers who’ve been with us for 3 years, who are not available in June. Also, Silver Bay is hotter in late June.
- Not hold the camp in 2025, and resume it in August 2026, the first of 3 years which won’t overlap with Labor Day weekend.
How you respond will influence the decision I need to make by August 15 — when the 2025 contract is due!